Are you reacting or responding?
- Are you feeling like an emotional roller-coaster? An erupting tornado?
- Are you defending your emotions while a loved one is telling you that it is causing chaos, pain or confusion for them?
- After all you have a right to feel what you feel, right?
- If they want you to change what you are feeling, isn’t that invalidating you?
Yes, you have a right to your emotions.
No, you are NOT your emotions, and if they are causing grief to others, they may also be causing grief to yourself. Becoming conscious and channeling your emotions does not invalidate you. It empowers you.
But what does that even mean?
What emotions are and what they do
Emotions are electromagnetic waves of energy carrying responsive or reactive potency as a response of thoughts or situations.
Because these waves are electric they charge us with potent power, like a power house. This power can fuel motivation, passion, perseverance, courage and many excellent responses to life.
Because these waves are magnetic, they attract allies, resources and matching frequencies.
We can say that emotions are a human superpower! Like all superpowers, they can be used for good or for bad.
Reactive vs. Responsive Emotions
One of the first aspects you need to become crystal clear and aware about your emotions at any given time is whether they are reactive or responsive.
When an emotion is reactive it usually has three easily detectable qualities:
- It is triggered automatically and immediately
- It is old and recurrent. It’s an old topic with you
- It is overwhelming and hard to subdue or channel
A Reactive Emotion controls you. You do not control it. It is triggered instantly by an event or by what someone says. What arises is an emotional tidal wave that is very hard to subdue and overrides your best intentions.
Responsive Emotions are emotions that are fresh, flowing from the actual current situation or interaction, spontaneous, full of intuitive insights and creating shifts, changes, connections and transformation.
This is not about “positive” emotions vs. “negative” emotions. Not at all!
This is about being present, unclouded by old issues and being able to truly respond to what is.
Reactive Emotions take away your ability to be present, connect, and respond creatively and intuitively in order to achieve collective transformation. They are emotional cages that keep you locked in the learned reactions from the past.
Responsive Emotions allow you to be present creatively, intuitively, in connection. They allow you to listen deeply, expand your perception, increase your connection and achieve a collective transformation.
- Are you reacting from an emotional trigger and leaving the present moment to repeat a cycle from the past? This steals your freedom to change the present and create the future you desire.
- Are you defensive and counterattacking? Blaming or counterblaming? Why? What do you feel threatens your safety?
- What would happen if you slow down, breath deeply, release any defensiveness and drop down into the love in your heart? If you listen from that love? If you talk from that love?